International Women’s Day is today, March 8.
In honor of the day, Google – as it almost always does – replaced its logo with a “doodle” that represents the subject. Today the doodle features a representation of women with various hopes and dreams – in thought bubbles, you see a microscope, books, musical notes, paintbrushes, and a computer, among other things.
When you click on the play button in the middle of the doodle, you see the video below:
Here’s what Google has to say about International Women’s Day:
- Over the years, Doodles have marked the achievements of women in science, civil rights, journalism, sports, arts, technology and beyond. But for our 2016 International Women’s Day Doodle, we wanted to celebrate the next generation of Doodle-worthy women – the engineers, educators, leaders, movers and shakers of tomorrow.
More than 300 girls and women were asked to complete the sentence “One day I will…” Here are some of the things they said.
- One day we will play in the major leagues.
- I’ll open my own lab.
- One day I’ll ask her to marry me.
- I will discuss the environment with Pope Francis.
And at the end of the video:
- One day we will see every girl in school.
Join us in celebrating International Women’s Day – a celebration of love and respect toward women – and a reminder that justice and equal rights belong to everyone, regardless of gender.