Divorce and other family law issues can be difficult for everyone, but it can be especially hard on children. It is a situation they cannot control, with the potential to change their lives and futures, so there is good reason to be concerned.
All too often, parents get so caught up in bad feelings toward each other that they forget what is most important: their children. Whether you are in a divorce or custody dispute, learn ways to ensure your children’s needs are coming first.
Below are some recommendations for how to put your children first during a divorce or family law issue:
- Remain present and accountable to your children.
- Never expose your children to parental arguments or aggression.
- Do not put your children in the middle of your dispute.
- Continually tell your children that the divorce is not their fault.
- Remind your children that you will always love them and you will always be their parent, no matter what happens.
- Talk to your children. Be honest with them and keep things simple and straightforward.
- Let your children have a voice and a safe place to voice their concerns.
- Be present in your children’s lives and cooperate when co-parenting.
- Take care of the emotional well being of your family. Ask for support from loved ones and seek professional help for you or your children if needed.
At DeShon Laraye Pullen PLC, we are committed to helping our clients put their children’s best interests first. If you have questions or concerns regarding your divorce or family law issue, we will be happy to discuss your concerns.